I think we got a pretty good glimpse of Scotland in the two weeks we were there. Miraculously, it didn’t rain very much at all, and our day trips included seeing Lochness, St. Andrews, Fort William, Mallaig (on the western coast), Glen Coe and the Rannoch moor, Rosslyn chapel, Melrose Abbey, Stirling Castle, Alnwick Castle, the Cairngorms National Park, and Edinburgh Castle. Highlands, lowlands, west coast, east coast, and even a little trip across the border into England!
Edinburgh was a great location to have as a home base. We walked (and walked and walked and..) everywhere. A few of my toes were unenthusiastic about all the walking, and a couple of them are just now recovering. Stephen’s suggestion: wear sneakers – real sneakers (aka – athletic shoes or trainers). Not that I could bring myself to wear them with my skinny jeans. Ha! I was wearing little canvas shoes, not something crazy.
But that reminds me: Jeans! I wore jeans the whole time and I loved it. There was one day it got a little warm, but otherwise I was happy in jeans, a long sleeved shirt and a light scarf. Ahhh….loved it. I miss wearing scarves.
Here is a quick run down of the highlights:
– bus trip to Rosslyn chapel, Melrose Abbey, and Alnwick castle with my mom and her friend
– bus trip to Inverness, Lochness, Glen Coe, Rannoch moor, and the highlands with Stephen
– day trip to Stirling Castle
– walked up to the Edinburgh castle
– trip to Saint Andrews to see friends and we had lunch at Anstruther Fish Bar
– Stephen and I walked for 1 1/2 – 2 hours to find the restaurant where we had our anniversary dinner. It took us 20 minutes to walk home.
– day trip to take a ride on the steam train from Fort William to Mallaig
– the house we stayed in was a perfect location, beautiful, and I felt right at home
I’ll spread the pictures and stories out over a few posts.
After all our fun in Scotland, Stephen had to go back to work, and the kids and I came with the Grandparents to Pennsylvania. We have been visiting family, enjoying thunderstorms, and I can drive!! Somehow, I haven’t been to Target yet, but give me a day or two…